Walkthrough of version 0.3 on YouTube:
As of today the Version 0.3 is available at Sourceforge and through the Maven repositories.
Main features are
- The Tavern where you can meet different people
- The Shipyard where you can order ships, repairs or upgrades
The next release will focus on technical issues like
- Implementation of the UI through JavaFX
- More consistent integration of Spring dependency injection
- Better testabilty
besides some new features.
We proudly present your second release. We achieved this in only 8 months versus the 11 for the first one. In reality the correct release number would be 0.2.0, so do not be alarmed when the next release number jumps up to 0.3.0. The last number is usually reserved for bug fixes.
I started a thread over at BlenderArtist to show the models of this project and also tell the Blender community something more about the work that was involved in creating.
Since yesterday the last release of OpenPatrician is also available online through the Maven repository. For most of you this might not mean anything. For the others, let me point out, why this might be to their advantage:
The OpenPatrician project is split up in several modules. Most of them are at least in their naming specific to OpenPatrician. There are however some few which might be useful:
- GameEvent: Setting up an event system based on the Observer Pattern. The Event class is subclassed to facilitate more specific needs. There is also the possibility to pass a notice Object along the notify chain.
- Rendering: Building up on GameEvent for updating the Object to be rendered. The rendering happens in a repeatable manner while the update through GameEvent is asynchronous. It may also be possible to process the update in a synchronous manner, as it would be in a turn based game.
- OpenPatricianUtilities: As the name suggests these are an assortment of classes and functions
- OpenPatricianImage: These are utilities focussing on images and image processing. Part of it is specific to the OpenPatrician game, some is specific only in the naming
- OpenPatricianSound: These are utilities focussing on the sound aspect of the game.
After about 11 month of development I am proud to present this first release. This milestone marks the first toward the really interesting milestone where the game becomes playable and therefore usable for gamers.
OpenPatrician is a free implementation in Java of Ascaron’s classic The Patrician and The Patrician 2.
The game is economic simulation located in the European North- and East-Sea in the late middle age. The player takes the role of a merchant in the Hanse and tries to gain a fortune by buying and selling wares in different cities and shipping them. His fortune is the base of candidateing for mayor in his home city and ultimately become the big boss of the whole Hanse (Elderman).
The project stands under the Apache License 2.0. All art work (graphic, sound, video) are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.